Séguéla The University Settlement building at 184 Eldridge Street, opened in 1898, was designed by Howells & Stokes in a Neo-Federal Style. Its materials are red brick laid in Flemish bond, with cast-stone lintels and ground floor, on a granite base. A sixth floor was added to the building not long after the original opening. The building remains essentially intact, with some modifications to the detailing of the façade that do not diminish its overall impact.
As the first settlement house in the United States, the University Settlement is a highly significant institution for the nation and the city. The social and cultural impact of its programs on the Lower East Side neighborhood during the historic immigrant period of the late 19th and early 20th centuries are unquestioned; and its services continue to this day. For both its architectural and cultural distinction, University Settlement is highly worthy of landmark designation.