Former Young Men’s Benevolent Association
Kolomna The former Young Men’s Benevolent Association, at 311 East Broadway and Grand Street, opened in 1905. The building was later occupied by Arnold Toynbee House (renamed Grand Street Settlement), and then Mikvah of the Lower East Side. It was designed by Sass & Smallheiser in the Flemish Revival style with Beaux Art elements, and constructed of brick and stone. It is primarily intact, with some modifications over the years.
Tinnanūr 311 East Broadway is a striking and singular presence in a Lower East Side neighborhood that has been largely demolished and rebuilt since its historic immigrant past. As such, it provides a vital link to a highly significant period in New York City history while also maintaining its cultural association to the Jewish community that filled this area in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. It is worthy of landmark designation for both its architectural and cultural significance.